Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's been a while. A long while, actually. I think it is mostly because I have been thoroughly swamped and partly because I don't know what to say. This blog was started as part of a YSP assignment . . . But as a YSP alum, I'm not sure how to continue.

I guess I should inform you on my college plans. Originally, I never wanted to share with the internet world the schools I was applying to because it is very likely that I will be rejected from most of those schools on my list. Now, don't tell me I ought to be optimistic. I am not selling myself short, I am merely being honest to myself that of the schools I applied to . . . So did 30,000+ other highly qualified students. And the institutions that I may love and hope dearly to attend next fall are also the loves and hopes of those other 30,000+ students.

Without much further ado . .  .
My list: (in alphabetical order, to be fair) 


I applied early action (non-binding) to Yale and was deferred. After a fit of rage which consisted of me throwing the Yale view book as hard as I could against the wall and a string of profanities against the esteemed institution, I realized that I didn't actually hate the school. Yes, I was extremely disappointed and saddened that my first choice (at the time) did not want me. And to be deferred does not offer much hope as  Yale deferred 2,500 kids. But I fell so deeply and overwhelming in love with Yale, that I neglect to research other really great schools. For example, I missed the Georgia Tech honors college deadline because of my tunnel vision. So to find the other four schools on my list (I had already applied to UF), I searched for a school with all the things that I could possibly want in a school. *enter Pton, UChicago, Duke, & Vandy* But I didn't get hung up with exploring every little detail like I did with Yale. Because those are very selective schools and I don't want to suffer a nerdy heartbreak again. I know enough about each of the four to know that I would be extremely happy to call it home for the next four years.

So I won't find out til April-ish. And that's ok. I know I'll end up at the right school. I've done everything I possibly could. I would not change one moment of my high school career. Plus I have enough to worry about.

One important thing no one tells you, is how expensive APPLYING TO COLLEGE is. It cost me $375 just to send my documents to those schools listed above. If rejected, not only do you lose the future you might have had at that school, but $75! And that doesn't include the $50 it cost to take the SAT or ACT. Nor does it include the $10 it cost to send the "official" SAT/ACT score report to the college of your choice. So if my calculations are correct (and they should be), I've spent almost $700 on college apps. But if we (as in me) are being honest here, do you want to know the most annoying part of the process? The fact that I have to pay my high school $1 for every copy of my transcript they send out. I'm out $8 already.

Well to conclude this triumphant return to my blog I will include a list of seven things I could have done with $700:

  1. One iPad with Retina display 64GB or two iPad mini 16GB. 
  2. One 7 day Carnival Bahama Cruise for me or a shorter 3 day cruise for me and my mum. 
  3. One Harry Potter Wizard's Collection DVD set for me and one for a friend. 
  4. 200 gallons of gas for my gangsta-mobile (which would last about four months)
  5. Basic Necessities Basket from Heifer International 
  6. All the Doctor Who Series on DVD and Seasons 1-4 of Merlin, plus another TV show on DVD. 
  7. Down payment on this Prada handbag
Well, laters. 
Nerdy Green




6 comments:

  1. Hi, I have definitely been thoroughly enjoying your blog which I just recently found.
    I came across it because I was looking for information about the UF - SSTP summer program and the FSU - Young Scholars summer program. I have been accepted to both, and now need to decide on one or the other. Plz help, which camp did you think was more enjoyable, and/or more beneficial academically???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote you a lovely blog post for you to enjoy! So enjoy my dear JNTAful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was researching UF SSTP on google and I came stumbled your incredibly helpful blog. First off, congratulations on being admitted to such a prestigious university as Duke, I plan on applying there this upcoming school year as I become a senior. I have a question: How important were your SAT/ACT scores in admitting you to Duke? I'm attending UF SSTP this year so i am somewhat following your footsteps, and need some direction in this college application Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any way that we could private message on this site or email? I don't really know how to use this site.. I just used my Email as an account

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason,

    I could Google+ you . . . but that's all that I know of.
    As for how my SAT/ACT scores affected my acceptance letter . . . I have no idea. I would suspect that as long as you are within the range(range as in middle 50 SAT/ACT scores), you will be on equal footing with everyone else. Please refer to my most recent post as I think it might answer some of your questions. If not, comment again and I will try to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you add me on google+? Or maybe even email me(I have no idea how to add on google+, especially on my phone). My email is: jdossantos1996@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete