Friday, March 29, 2013

SSTP or YSP: A Honest Review

JNTAful asked:
I came across it because I was looking for information about the UF - SSTP summer program and the FSU - Young Scholars summer program. I have been accepted to both, and now need to decide on one or the other. Plz help, which camp did you think was more enjoyable, and/or more beneficial academically???
Hmmm. That's a loaded question. SSTP and YSP are two very different experiences to say the least. And I'm not sure where to start. . .

Ok.
Here I go.
If you are a sophomore, I would tell you to go to both. But I doubt that you are. . . So next bit.

College Life: 
SSTP was my first college experience. It was incredible to be on a college campus, doing college things, and being all college-y. YSP was very similar in terms of it's collegeness. I think UF was more hospitable and more alive than FSU during the summer tho. But it's a close call.

Lab:
My lab experience at SSTP was much better than my lab at YSP. (But a lot of factors go into this: some people hated their labs at SSTP, some loved theirs at YSP - it just depends). But you do spend a lot more time in the lab at SSTP (five days a week versus two). And if you are the type who wants a state science fair project out of your summer, then I would think SSTP offers more of a chance at a winner.

Classes:
YSP, lacking in labs, definitely had the better classes. Us dorks would be working on the problems together i the common room and working til the wee hours of the morning on projects in the hallway. The classes at YSP were taught (generally) by real FSU professors with previous YSP experience. The SSTP class was extremely interesting as well, but there was only one. And the subject was very specific (Animal Behavior). Whereas the three classes at YSP were more broad and more applicable (Intro to Computer Programming, Biochemistry, and Calculus). BUT! The SSTP class can count as a weighted course (if you are a Floridian) and can potentially boost your GPA, if you are the type to be concerned about such matters.

People: 
The people at SSTP were extremely fun and smart. They, as a whole, were more likely to do crazy things than the people of YSP. But the people at YSP, were even smarter, if that's possible. The atmosphere was more intelligent, as a whole. Perhaps the feel was less to do with IQ points or SAT scores, but rather the ambition to achieve. Most of the people who went to SSTP, loved UF so much that they ended up going to UF for college. Most of the YSP people, are not going to FSU. But were recently admitted to Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Princeton, MIT, Cornell, and Duke (me!) - as well as many other top schools. I think a lot of the people who went to SSTP could have got into, or maybe did, some of these schools but I have forgotten their Facebook posts, so I cannot be too sure.

Cost:
UF SSTP cost around $3,000. But there are some scholarships available depending on where you live or who you know (Heart of Volusia). YSP is completely free for all participants. So, yeah. That's that.

Counselors & Stuff: 
Both sets of counselors were really cool and full of info. At SSTP they are two years into college (at least), whereas at YSP they are only one year into college. But SSTP is more structured than YSP. At SSTP, you had a deadline for your paper, adults present during the field trips, etc. YSP not so much. We saw the YSP coordinators (adults) like 3 times. We were not babied as much as we were at SSTP. But not saying either is better than the other . . .

Final Overview:
The order in which I attending these programs is very significant. I felt YSP further enriched what I learned at SSTP. Can I tell you which one to go to? No. I can't. Both are fantastic programs worthy of your participation and both of which will provide you with a fantastic, unforgettable summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment