Saturday, June 23, 2012

FSU YSP 2012

Sir Nathan of my Essentials of Science Computing course demands that his students begin a blog.

So, 'tis my blog. 

Who is Sir Nathan and why must I follow his orders? Well I, Nerdy Green, am part of a prestigious science and mathematics summer program at Florida State University called the Young Scholars Program (or YSP for short). Basically, during this six week resident program I must wake up at ungodly hours (like 6:57AM) of the day to do extremely nerdy activities. And I am surrounded by geniuses from all over the sunshine state.  So as part of this super science summer, I must attend a computer, math, and science class every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, I am supposed to go to a research laboratory (at the College of Engineering) to work on my own project - I haven't been able to do much laboratory-ing because my professor has been out of town.

Do I like it? Yes, and no. I find the classes challenging and extremely fun in a nerdy way (especially that Essentials of Science Computing class taught by Sir Nathan). I also like the atmosphere of FSU and the camp. But I am going to start whining here a little bit - sorry! My bed is uncomfortable, the walls are thin, the food is getting old, I haven't been in my lab yet, FSU is pretty deserted during this first week and I just not sure I can handle all that early morning nerd talk . . . Whew! Glad that's over. Already, I have made some great friends and had more than one good laugh. I've also enjoyed some wonderful beverages at The Sweet Shop, found an amazing place to chat on top of the SouthGate parking garage, and earned several new bruises.

This blog shall chronicle my adventures at YSP, including all the fascinating computer information I learn from Sir Nathan, and future chapters in my nerd journey.

This is Nerdy Green, signing off. O.o

No comments:

Post a Comment