Thursday, June 28, 2012

Meet my best friend Robitussin!

Dr. Jung, my IRP sponsor, basically outlined the next five weeks like this:
He told us that, especially in the engineering field, it takes months, years, lifetimes, etc. to do a complete project. So he is doing his best to give us the five-week version. And he is interested in wind energy so he is ordering us a model turbine kit for us to have fun with. So that's the plan. 

What does that have to do with my new best friend? Well, one camper must have brought some terrible viral disease to SouthGate, and I caught it. My throat is sore and I sound like a man. And today has been especially congestion-y. My bottle of Robitussin is almost gone. You know what that means . . . Walmart tomorrow! The plan (see above) allows time for "Literature Review" this week . . . So I didn't have to go to the laboratory! I could sleep in! I could stay in my room and be miserable! 

Well, it wasn't that miserable. I got a Irish Creme Latte at the ever amazing Sweet Shop. Then, Priyanka and I enjoyed some nice warm non-stuffy fresh air! And guys, guess what? I actually did some "Literature Review."

Pressure coefficients measured on a Volkswagen New Beetle model (V=50 m/s, 0 degree yaw)
Volkswagen Beetle
In my project (in a few weeks) we will be using Pressure-Sensitive Paint (PSP). Back in the olden days scientists and engineers monitored pressure via mechanical pressure transducers. While this was cutting edge science at the time, it resulted in limited spatial resolution - that is you received pressure readings only where the transducers were located. PSP, founded in biochemistry, gives the complete pressure picture. Just add radiation and a super duper camera and you can see exactly where pressure is impacting the object the most. 

Additionally, I also researched the best types of roofs. It appears that gable roofs are the least hurricane resistant, but also the most common because they are easy to build and relatively inexpensive. From what I have read, most experts recommend hip roofs (four slopes) or more. At this point I am thinking that my roof design might have more than four slopes . . . Risky, I know! But more research is to come! 

Well, it's about dinnertime. Let's just hope that it is something good tonight. Generally, if lunch is sub-par, then dinner is sure to be . . . edible. 

Toodles. <3 Nerdy Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment